Dr. Festus Odunayo OSHOBA, a retired chief consultant ophthalmologist of repute and former Registrar, Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, is the proprietor and chief operating officer at LADKEM EYE HOSPITAL, Lagos. A man of many parts: a distinguished scholar, a seasoned and chartered administrator, a journalist, law graduate, public health practitioner, lover of lawn tennis sport, teacher and mentor of many ophthalmologists and a leader and member of many professional and social groups.
Currently, he is the Vice President of the Chartered Institute of Administration; the Chairman of Medical and Scientific Commission of Nigeria Olympic Committee (2020); the 1st Vice President of the Guild of Medical Directors (GMD, National) and 1st Vice President, Healthcare Federation of Nigeria (HFN).
He is also a regular radio and television guest on eye-related issues.
- A 1975 product of St. John’s Grammar School, Ile-Ife, Osun State and a 1984 medical graduate, University of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria (M.B;B.S.);
- Trained at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) as a Consultant Ophthalmologist:
Fellow, West African College of Surgeons (FWACS), Dec. 1988 – Nov, 1992;
National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (FMCOPH), Dec. 1988 – May 1993;
- The Chartered Institute of Administration (CIA chartered by Act no. 103 of 1992, now CAP C7 LFN 2004):
Associate Member with Specialization in Corporate Managerial Administration (ACIA), Reg. No. 1901, April 1996-Oct. 1997;
Full member, (MCIA) August 2000;
Fellow (FCIA), August 2003; Chartered Administrator, December 2007.
- University of Lagos: Master of Public Administration, Jan. 2000 – May 2002;
- University of Lagos: Master of Public Health (M.P.H), July 2004 – July 2005,
- JPM Rotary Eye Hospital & Research Institute, Cuttack, India: Certificate in Intra Ocular Lens (IOL) Microsurgery, 15th 2004 – 6th Feb 2004;
- LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad: Certificate in Cataract Phacoemulsification Surgery, August 2006;
- BLEMERC – The Center for Epidemiologic Research & Training: May 2005;
- Medical Consult – Center for Ultrasound Research & Education: Certificate in Ocular Sonography, July 2005;
- ASCON, Badagry, Lagos: Advanced Management Course, Sept. 2006;
- National Open University of Nigeria: Bachelor of Law, (LL. B.) Jan. 2015;
- Nigerian Institute of Journalism: Postgraduate Diploma in Broadcast Journalism with Distinction, Feb. 2018.
SERVICE AT STATE AND NATIONAL LEVELS
- Assistant Co-ordinating Director, Postgraduate Residency Training Unit, Lagos State Hospitals Management Board, 1996-2001;
- Programme Coordinator, Lagos State Committee for the Prevention of Blindness (JIGI-BOLA), Jan. 2000 – March 2004;
- Head of Department of Ophthalmology, General Hospital, Lagos, April 2005 to Sep. 2006.
- International Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2001;
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons (FICS), April 2003;
- Full Member, Nigeria Institute of Management (MNIM), April 2003;
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Administration (FCIA), August 2003;
- FULL Member, Institute of Management Consultants of Nigeria (IMCON), October 2007;
- Member, Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC, Medical), 2004.
- Classroom Teacher, John’s Grammar School, Ile-Ife, Osun State (1976 – Aug. 1977);
- Clerical Officer, National Bank of Nigeria Limited, Sagamu (Sept 1977 – March 1978);
- National Youth Service Corps Lagos – Island Local Government, City Hall, Lagos (Aug. 1985 – July 1986);
- Medical Officer (General Duty Doctor) Eye Clinic, General Hospital, Lagos (Oct. 1986 – Nov 1988);
- Junior Registrar in Ophthalmology, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi – Araba (Nov. 1988 – Nov. 1990);
- Senior Registrar in Ophthalmology, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi – Araba (June 1990 – May 1993);
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Eye Clinic, General Hospital, Broad Street, Lagos (June 1993 – Dec. 1996);
- Consultant Ophthalmologist, Special Grade II Eye Clinic, General Hospital, Lagos (Jan. 1997 – Dec. 2000);
- Chief Consultant Ophthalmologist, Special Grade I Eye Clinic, General Hospital, Lagos (Jan. 1, 2001 – Sept 2006);
- Assistant Co-ordinating Director, Postgraduate Residency Training Unit, Lagos State Hospitals Management Board (1996 – 2001);
- Programme Coordinator, Lagos State Committee for the Prevention of Blindness (Jan. 2000 – March 2004);
- Head of Department of Ophthalmology, General Hospital, Lagos (April 2005 to Sep. 2006);
- Registrar/Secretary, Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria ( Sep 29th, 2006 – 2008).
- Trainer of Resident Doctors/Diplomates in Ophthalmology, West African Postgraduate Medical College, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (1996 to date);
- Assessor Nigeria Journal of Ophthalmology (2004 to date);
- Member, Governing Council of Chartered Institute of Administration and many of its Committees November (2001 to date).
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES (UNDERGRADUATE)
- PRESIDENT, Xaverian Movement (A youth movement leadership training forum) at St. Johns Grammar School, Ile-Ife, Osun State, 1973/74 session;
- HALL REPRESENTATIVE of Hall H2 in the Student Union Parliament of the University of Ilorin, 1979/80;
- SECRETARY-GENERAL, Ilorin University Medical Students Association, 1980/81;
- EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, Official Journal of Ilorin University Medical Students Association, 1980/82;
- PRESIDENT, Ilorin University Medical Students Association, 1982/83;
- VICE-PRESIDENT, Nigerian Medical Students Association 1982/83;
- MEMBER, Unilorin Theatre, 1979 – 1984;
- LEAD-ACTOR, LANKE in the 1982 Convocation Play of the UNILORIN titled ‘The Palmwine Drinkard’ written by Kola Ogunmola and translated to English by Akanji Nasiru;
- MEMBER, UNILORIN Christian Union.
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES (POST GRADUATION)
- Congress Secretary, 20th Annual Congress of the Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria, 1995;
- Pioneer Secretary, Lagos State Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria, 1995 – 97;
- Chairman, Medical Guild Lagos. (An Association of Lagos State Government Employed Medical Doctors), 1997 – 99;
- National Secretary General, Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria, 1997 – 2001;
- Deacon, Assemblies of God Church, Tapa Street, Oyingbo, Lagos, 1994 – 97;
- Council Member, Nigeria Medical Association, Lagos State Branch,1997 – 99;
- Member, Medical & Scientific Commission of the Nigeria Olympic Committee, 2004 to date;
- President, Odo – Epo Development Council 2003 – 2019;
- Oloritun of Ilu-Orogbo quarters of Odo – Epo, Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State 2019 to date.
Born on December 26, 1958, married, with children and a grandson. An entrepreneur and employer of labour at the LADKEM EYE HOSPITAL, LAGOS, Festus is a philanthropist whose personal ambition and goal is to be a happiness generator and distributor..