On the 29th day of May 1971, at about 2pm, Forty Old Students of St. John’s Grammar School, Ile- Ife attended an inaugural meeting to form the Old Boys Association. Elections were held and ‘Segun Awoyefa emerged President, M. Bosoro Vice President, and O. Odewoyin, General Secretary. A Constitution drafting committee was appointed and at about 4pm the current Students as at that time hosted the old boys to a Dance in the Hall.
The Secretary was a Student of the University of Ife as so many old Boys were admitted to studying various courses at the University and the University of Ibadan. Liaison between the Old Boys and the School was facilitated by proximity and they gave their best to their Alma Mater. At about his retirement as the pioneer Principal of St, John’s Grammar School, Reverend Father Cloutier listed the Old Boys association’s goodwill as one of his heart warming rewards.
By 1974 the old boy’s association formed then had faded.
Twenty four years later, another attempt to set up an old boys association was made. A meeting of old boys was held at the residence of Dr. Tao Mustapha of the 67/71 set on the 18th of January 1998 at Olori road, Ijebu-Ode; where a protem committee was set up comprising of
- Chief Sunday Abimbola Bolaji — Protem Chairman
- Chief Segun Owolade ——Protem Publicity Secretary
- Gabriel Osoba ——- Protem Secretary.
Others who were present include Mr. Ojeyinka Tunde, Mr. Aborisade, P.F., Evangelist Olayinka C.O.
Subsequent meetings were held at the Gateway Hotel Ota from 15th August 1998. On 13th March 1999, a constitution drafting committee comprising of Evangelist Olayinka C.O., as Chairman, Mr. Ayo Owolawi as Secretary and Chief Owolade C.S. as Treasurer was inaugurated.
During the 7th meeting, held on 11th September 1999 at the Gateway Hotel, Ota, with Mr. Gbenga Arojo as the returning officer, the following were elected as members of the executive council of the Lagos state Chapter of the St John’s Grammar School, Old boy’s association:
- President Chief Bolaji S.A.
- 1ST Vice President Evangelist Olayinka C.O
- 2nd Vice President Adelore A.
- Secretary Osoba G.A.
- Financial secretary Owolawi A.M.
- Treasurer Omopariola P.A.
- Publicity secretary Chief Owolade S.A.
- Assistant publicity secretary Adenuga S.B
A family get-together was held on Saturday, December 4th, 1999 at the Gateway Hotel.
The 40th anniversary celebration of the school was celebrated from the 29th November to 1st December 2002. Reverend father Thomas Makanjuola Ilesanmi delivered the guest lecture titled “The role of the Catholic Church in Educational development in Nigeria. “
The highlights of the events include Jumat service on Friday 29th November 2002, launching of N10 million naira appeal fund and presentation of awards and certificates to distinguished members. Celebration of the Holy Mass at the Catholic Church, Ilode, rounded off the event… Dr. Festus Oshoba was the chairman of the planning committee, Mr. Paul Adedeji was the secretary, while Mr. Victor Olu Bameke was the Treasurer. At the time of the celebration, Mr. Anthony Olufidipe replaced Dr. Omopariola P.A. as the treasurer of the association.
In 2006, Johnian Tope Elusogbon, was the chairman of the 2006 Honours, awards and re-union planning committee held on 1st October 2006. Other members of the committee were Segun Omoworare, Festus Oshoba while Mr. Paul Adedeji served as the secretary.
During the celebration of the Golden Jubilee of our alma mater St. John Grammar School Ile-Ife, on the7th April 2012, the President, Chief Sunday Abimbola Bolaji, congratulated all Johnians in Nigeria and abroad on being alive to witness the memorable event.
He reiterated that the idea of a national body of the old boy association was mooted and implemented during the celebration of the home call of the founder of the school and the foundation principal, late Rev. Father Fabian Cloutier in 2009. Prior to this time, there were chapters of the old boys’ Association especially in Lagos and Osun State. On that occasion of the funeral programme of our founding father, the national 2nd Vice-President from Lagos chapter, the National Secretary from Ife/Osun branch and his assistant from Lagos.
The occasion also recorded a great Johnian assembly that witnessed the reading and ratification of the draft of the Old Boys’ constitution prepared by some eminent Johnians in the legal profession.
The foundation national executive committee comprised the following:
Chief Sunday Bolaji President
Francis Oyawole (Late) 1st Vice President
Chief Dejo Adejobi 2nd Vice President
Tunji Adeyemo Secretary General
Prof. Gabriel Osoba Asst. Secretary General
Mr. Adebayo Olgbenla Asst. Secretary General
Tony Olufidipe Treasurer
Dr. Saka Opeloye Financial Secretary
Gbenga Adefaye Publicity Secretary
Kehinde Bamigbetan Social Secretary
Tope Elushogbon Record and Statistics
Tunde Awoyemi Record and Statistics
Adeyeba Adelekan (Late) Charles Babatunde Layade
Dr. Tao Mustapha Diran Odeyemi
Dele Momodu Chief M.O Paul
Oluomo Gbenga Owolabi Femi Makinde
Prof. Dapo Adedire (Late) Chief Bioye Olatunbosun
Prof. Tunde Arayela Dr. Festus Oshoba
The first pre-occupation of the National Executive was to identify areas in which the school needed urgent attention and to plan for the jubilee. The road to this golden celebration started with the inauguration of the 50th Anniversary planning committee under the chairmanship of Chief Dejo Adejobi with Dr. Festus Odunayo Oshoba as the secretary.
Several meeting were held at Ife and Lagos by the planning committee and the National Executive Council in preparation for this once in a century event. This celebration was originally fixed for January 2012 to coincide with the month of birth of the school. The date had to be changed in the face of the wide spread, national fuel subsidy removal strike that welcomed the New Year. April was chosen after a long thoughtful consideration of various options.
At the occasion, he passionately appealed for generous donation at the launching of the one hundred million (=N=100,000,000.00) fund for the projects to be carried out in this school.
At this juncture, it is very important to put on record some contributions of old boys to the upliftment and development of the school.
- 7377 set renovated (including re- roofing with long span aluminum sheets) the school Block D, stocked it with students furniture to mark their 40th anniversary.
*7377 set also gave all the students customised exercise books.
- 7681 set renovated (including re- roofing with long span aluminum sheets) the second half of Block B
- *7580 set renovated the chemistry laboratory and equipped it with reagents and equipment worth about one million naira (the laboratory is presently in a state of disrepair due to poor maintenance)
* 7580 set paid for the NECO examination of six students
*7580 set presented two lawn mowers to the school
*7580 set is also presently building a multi- million Naira Modern water system Toilet for students,
- 7984 set renovated the Library. ( including re-roofing with long span aluminium sheets and furnished the school library building with books, ceiling fans and furniture.)
- *7782 set paid over Four hundred thousand accumulated electricity bill
*7782 set also supplied four prepaid electricity meters to the school
- 7883 set Renovated the school sports field Grand Stand.
6973 set in commemoration of their 50th admission anniversary distributed customised exercise books and ball pens to all students, teachers and guests at the ceremony
- 1997 set distributed St John’s Grammar School customised exercise books to all students
- 7074 set marking their 50th admission anniversary gave WASSCE Examination sponsorship to five students
- *1985/91 set gave WASSCE examination sponsorship to 15 students.
*1985/91 set also gave cash award to teachers.
- *Senator Jide Omoworare Renovated furnished the Administration Building
*Senator Jide OMOWORARE also renovated (including re-roofing with longa block of six classrooms and the Art Room as part of constituency project.
- *Engineer Ayo Alabi renovated the first half of the school Block B, built a modern Gate and Gate house and a bronze statue of Reverend Father Fabian Cloutier.
*Engineer Ayo Alabi also gave comprehensive scholarship to a student. (including books, uniform, examination sponsorship, feeding etc)
- Senator Iyiola Omisore facilitated the supply of computers/accessories linkable with Internet.
- Barrister Sola Oyeyemi purchased a new water pump and restored the school water supply system.
- *IKE DIAKU bought a modern public address system for the school and a set of desk computer and printer machine for the school.
- Captain Adeniyi Ademiju presented the school with packs of ink cartridges to facilitate easy and continuous use of the school computer printer and photostat machine
- Kehinde Bamigbetan donated new shelves to the library.
The effects of set and individual contributions was the significant rise in the enthusiasm of Johnians to fix the dilapidating facilities of the school to cope with the high rate of depreciation at a time of increasing pressure of students.
This was demonstrated when, in response to an alarm that certain persons were encroaching on the school’s land, the Sunday Bolaji led executive committee launched the ambitious project of fencing the school with concrete blocks.
Below is the breakdown of sets and members that contributed to the success of this project:
ROLL OF HONOR:
ST JOHN’S PERIMETER FENCE PROJECT DONORS
Engineer AYODELE ALABI
Senator IYIOLA OMISORE
COMPOL (RTD.) AWOTINDE AWOSOLA CHARLES
Captain ADENIYI ADEMIJU
BARRISTER DR OLUSOLA OYEYEMI
SAM SINA OLUDUNFE
Prof. ‘WALE OLADIPO
1000 9” BLOCKS
1000 9” BLOCKS
Prof. ADEKUNLE ELUDIRE
Dr. FESTUS OSHOBA
Justice YINKA AFOLABI
Dr. BASIL BABAJIDE FADIPE… #160,000
Dr. JULIUS BODE FADIPE
FELIX SIYANBOLA FADIPE
KENNETH OLALEYE FADIPE
OLUOMO GBENGA OWOLABI
Dr. TAO MUSTAPHA
Bishop ABIODUN OLAOYE
FRANCIS ABIODUN FASESIN
DR. LAWRENCE OLAJIDE MAKINDE
Apostle BISI OLAOYE
Prof. GABRIEL OSHOBA
Dr. FAYENUWO G A
Rev AKINWALE RAZAK BALOGUN
Engineer WUYI ADETOGUN
Engineer ELUWOLE POSI SAMUEL
Surveyor GBENGA ALARA
ADEGOKE ADERETI ANTHONY
Ambassador OBISAKIN LAWRENCE
OBISAKIN THOMAS ROTIMI
JOHNIAN DONOR SETS AND RANKING: FENCE PROJECT
The finanacial report will enumerate the financial contributions of members in full details, while the auditors report had been circulated.
On the 2nd of May 2020, an election was held and a new executive council voted into office. The results is as stated below: